ulturalResources
History of Lijiang
Ancient Lijiang town has eight or nine hundred years of history, which had taken shape in Southern Song Dynasty. Since the Ming Dynasty, Ancient Lijiang town had been called "Dayan Compartment" because it was located at the center of the Lijiang dam, surrounded by green hills, with a pool of clear water in the middle, just as a jasper big inkstone, hence the name.
History:
During the Warring States, Lijiang belonged to Qin Shujun. It belonged to Yue County in Han Dynasty, and Yunnan County in Three Kingdoms. Then in Southern dynasties, Lijiang belonged to Suiduan County, it was about that time that Naxi ancestors moved here.
Antique Lijiang Ancient town
It was Yaozhou military prefecture in Tang Dynasty, and then Tubo, Nanzhao, Sangchuan, which belonged to Jianchuan Jiedu.
It was Dali Shanju County in Song Dynasty, during which the city began to be established. Kublai Khan once southern fought Dali and drilled with station troops at this place after crossing the Jinsha River with leather bag. Today, "The Camp" site is still there. At that time, there were more than a thousand households resident, which was changed to Lijiang Road at the thirteen year in Yuan Dynasty, the name of Lijiang was derived from here for adjoining to Lijiang (the ancient name of the Jinsha River) Bay.
Ancient Lijiang town had grown to a considerable scale in the late Ming Dynasty, which was more and more prosperous. The mansion house of local Chieftain, whose surname was Mu, was very gorgeous, which was described by Xu Xiake in his book of travel, "the gorgeous mansion house can be comparable with the imperial palace," and “Lijiang Prefecture was richer than any other places.” Yunnan Chieftain Biography - History of Ming Dynasty said that "All local officials in Yunnan were expert in poetry and literature, manners, and faith, among which Mu Family ranked the first place.” The name of Dayan was also derived from the Ming Dynasty, because it is located in the center of the Lingjiang dam, surrounded by green hills, with a pool of clear water in the middle, just as a jasper big inkstone, hence the name.
It was changed to Lijiang Prefecture. In the first year of Yongzheng (1723), the policy of “change Chieftain system and establish flexible officer system (the officials were appointed by the royal court to replace hereditary system” was carried out; therefore, the hereditary rule of Chieftain (Mu family) since Yuan Dynasty was ended. Lijiang County was set in thirty-five year of Qianlong (1770).
Lijiang Naxi Autonomous County was established in 1961, which belonged to Lijiang region.
Ancient Lijiang town was declared as World Cultural Heritage in December 1997 successfully, which made up the gap of no historical and cultural city of China.
And in April 2003, the original Lijiang region was changed to Lijiang city, and the original Naxi Autonomous County of Lijiang was divided into the Lijiang Ancient town and Yulong Naxi Autonomous County.
Lijiang culture has become a complex culture of the Naxi and Han culture in 1723 after the policy of “change Chieftain system to flexible officer system (the officials were appointed by the royal court to replace hereditary system” in Qing Dynasty. Compared with the Naxi people in the west bank of Zhongdianbai region (Birthplace of Naxi Dongba) of Jinsha River, and Moso people of east of Lugu Lake region in Jinsha River, Naxi community in Lijiang dam area has been effected and assimilated by Hans' culture in Central Plain, and this assimilation process was gradually accelerated in the development of the major earthquake in 1996 and thereafter tourism.
WE-CHAT SCANNING
The happy journey begins here